BioRender is a fast growing SaaS startup on a mission to create the standard visual language of biology and the suite of tools to communicate it. We’re a team of passionate engineers, science illustrators, designers and entrepreneurs and are backed by an incredible group of investors, including YCombinator. We nerd out on cool science stuff and love solving big problems. We work really hard and sweat the details to deliver a high-impact product that our users love.
The problem we’re solving
Each year, biomedical researchers waste over a billion hours trying to communicate their research by drawing complex biology figures using tools like PowerPoint. These products weren’t built for scientists, so they're time consuming and produce poor-quality results. What’s worse, if you google any biological concept, you’ll find hundreds of figures that look completely different but are trying to communicate the exact same thing.
At BioRender, we are on a mission to have every visual representation of biology made and communicated with our tools. We reduce the time it takes scientists to create visuals from hours to minutes while drastically improving the quality. We save scientists 10-20 hours per month, giving them more time for the important stuff!
About the position
BioRender is hiring a frontend individual contributor who has experience scaling a real-time collaborative web-based visual editor.
We are hiring in-office in downtown Toronto but will consider remote for exceptional candidates.
We are looking for a self-starter who cares about code quality, customer experience and making a positive impact; someone who takes initiative. If you see something that’s broken, or a customer who’s unhappy, you do everything you can to fix it asap. You love technical challenges and finding new ways to solve difficult problems. You think deeply about trade-offs between different technologies and might be opinionated about what you think is best. You aren’t afraid to learn new technologies or how to integrate with existing tools and libraries. You’re high-reaching, results-focused, metrics-driven and always learning. You appreciate self-growth and personal development and you’re looking to grow with the company.
- Strong experience (3+ years) in frontend software development
- Background in computer graphics, experience with web-based graphics libraries
- Web full-stack experience (Node.js, React, MongoDB and writing interactive web apps)
- Educational background in mathematics, computer graphics, computational biology or similar is a plus
- Experience working on SaaS web products is a plus with a tight product development cycles
- Build out web-based visualization software to manipulate 2D and 3D graphics
- Build web-based animation software
Our developer team is 6 people. We work closely with product, medical illustrators, sales and growth to ship the highest-impact features to our users.
- Competitive salary + options
- High-growth position in the early stage of a promising company
- Key placement with important responsibilities in the organization
- Alignment of your professional growth with the company’s growth
Apply: Please email [email protected] with your resume, availability and a short blurb about yourself.