Job Title: Senior Full-Stack Developer
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Start Date: ASAP
Compensation: Paid, commensurate with experience
BioRender is a fast growing SaaS startup. We’re creating the standard visual language of biology and the suite of tools to communicate it. We are a team of passionate engineers, science illustrators, designers and entrepreneurs and are backed by an incredible group of investors, including Y Combinator. We nerd out on cool science stuff and solving big problems. We work really hard and sweat the details to deliver a high impact product that our users love.
About the position:
- The Stack: (React.js, Node.js, typescript, MongoDB) - BioRender is a frontend heavy app with most of our technical challenges being on the frontend (ex. browser compatibility, svg editing and performance). We try to keep our backend and infrastructure light and low maintenance and focus our efforts on things that matter most to our users or help us grow.
- The Team: We are a lean team of 4 developers. We are scrappy, value collaboration, creative problem solving, transparency and hard work. We work very closely with illustrators, sales and customer success to build the best possible product that users love.
- The Projects: We have big ambitions to transform the science communication space, but we are heavily focused on the core product and growth for the next year. This means that even though we would love to build other cool products, we will be spending most of our time doing foundational work, building most high priority features and running growth experiments. To give you an idea, some current projects on the roadmap are: building really awesome drawing tools (ex. flexible lines, shapes, etc), real-time collaboration, experimenting with referral programs and sharing, building a large svg editor for making posters. We are also tackling technical debt, acquired over a year of rapid user growth and doing things that don't scale.
- Fun Stuff: We have quarterly hackathons to run experiments related to growth and product.
The problem BioRender is solving:
Each year, biomedical researchers waste over a billion hours trying to communicate their research by drawing complex biology figures using tools like PowerPoint. These products weren’t built for scientists so are very time consuming and produce poor quality results. What’s worse, if you google any biological concept you’ll find hundreds of figures that look very different but are trying to communicate the exact same thing. At BioRender, our mission is have every visual representation of biology made and communicated with our tools. We reduce the time it takes scientists to create visuals from hours to minutes while drastically improving the quality. We save scientists 10-20 hours per month, giving them more time for the important stuff!
We are looking for a self starter who cares about code quality, customer experience and making a positive impact; someone who takes initiative. If you see something that’s broken, or a customer who’s unhappy, you do everything you can to fix it asap. You write clean, performant, scalable code. You love technical challenges and finding new ways to solve difficult problems. You think deeply about trade-offs between different technologies and might be opinionated about what you think is best. You aren’t afraid to learn new technologies or how to integrate with existing tools and libraries. You’re high-reaching, results-focused, metrics-driven and always learning. You appreciate self-growth and personal development and you’re looking to grow with the company.
- Strong experience (3+ years) in software development
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or related field
- Web full-stack experience and writing interactive web apps(our stack is React, Node.js, MongoDB)
- Extensive frontend experience with React / redux is a big plus
- Background in computer graphics, experience with web based graphics libraries or game development or animation is a plus
- Educational background in computer graphics, computational biology or similar is a plus
- Experience working on SaaS web products with a tight product development cycles is a plus
- Experience working in health/science related product development is a plus
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
- Competitive salary + options
- High-growth position in the early stage of a promising company
- Key placement with important responsibilities in the organization
- Alignment of your professional growth with the company’s growth
Apply: Please email [email protected] with your resume, availability and a short blurb about yourself.